Game Engine Forum - Grit Open Source Streaming Game Engine
Site Header
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Should we reevaluate something?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:59 pm 

Hi! to you all

Is it absolutely a must that grit can reuse the maps from GTA SA? Can`t it wait for later?

Ain`t you scare of Rockstar?

At the begining, Would`nt it be more easy and motivating to start with a less realistic design, to focus on less beautifull maps and avatars (but easiers and faster to make), to create good and easy to follow tutorials. so that more peoples will contribute to grit.

It would be great if there were peoples in charge for differents sectors (maps, textures, sounds, musics,etc...).

If we aim too high, too much GTA like, from the start, this wonderfull dream (project) will take a looong time!

Getting one third of what you want is better than getting nothing!

Thank you!

Post subject: Re: Should we reevaluate something?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:31 pm 

i don't know if i understand it 100% (sorry), but..

Grit doesn't use anything from GTA SA, just have a tool to convert files to Grit format (i don't know if it still works, i never used though)

I think that if Grit have at least a realistic character (human), good animations and gameplay, and of course good graphics it instantly brings more attention to itself, so more people can see and share it to others, and at some point it will attract some possible developers to help. There is a lot of game engines with bad graphics and bad designs, that follows simplicity instead of something really useful. Grit attracted me for its purposes and considerable graphics (also Lua and bullet), otherwise i never would do anything for it, as i didn't for other tens of other open source engines that i found.

On current Grit state, tutorials are a problem, because they probably will need a lot of changes until a stable release (when game developers can really use Grit for a game), for now is not game dev friendly

There is only few people working on Grit, so there is no way to atribbute a person for a specific sector (i don't know if 4 people commited something last year, probably just 3), anybody can contribute with the possible

Grit big difference from other game engines is to be a open source open world game engine, so.. why be similar to others?

I think that Grit just need more talented people to help, it will happens soon or latter. the problem is: who would work for free? why help in Grit development? (maybe follow other open source projects ideas?). This doesn't help so much, so is really hard to get new developers, until Grit really brings some attention :P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:05 am 

hi!
Thank you for your answer,

I understand, i just had to ask, to get it off my mind.

thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:59 pm 

IMO grit this engine should be like let say unreal as is not focused on one type of game type for there engine this engine should be just provided a good way to to have a open world game play no matter whta kind of game u want to make weather it be a space game, second life type game, MMO ect

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:06 am 

oh and i do wish there where more people helping out

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:16 pm 

is this still active?
is someone interested in making a low poly minimal demo?
i am on linux and i think this would be awesome, free crossplatform game with vehicles
maybe more people would contribute if it were more simple, i know i would
im thinking of very low poly small size game, one player model, boxy stuff
i know you want a AAA quality game, just saying
more broader audience, greater chance of success