Game Engine Forum - Grit Open Source Streaming Game Engine
Site Header
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:10 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Can you import Sketchup models into the Grit Engine?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:18 pm 

Hi,

My friends (who far exceed my noobishness, surprisingly :facepalm: ) are making a game, and I am generously contributing (by making the whole in-game city for them. But nothing too much). I don't know how to use Blender, and I don't want to invest my time in learning it right now, because it really is mind-bogglingly complex (I do plan to learn it later). However, it is essential for me (or someone else) to learn how to use a game engine, because, ahem, you need a game engine to actually run the game *insert the You Don't Say Face here*. So anyways, the perfect solution to my current inability of learning Blender and my own crippling laziness combined is... the simple software Google Sketchup! So, skipping over all that useless information, after rendering, is there any way to put my city in Sketchup into the Grit Game Engine?

PS: The Grit engine is free to use for commercial purposes, right? As I have informed you before, I am a noob. Be gentle...

Post subject: Re: Can you import Sketchup models into the Grit Engine?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep, MIT license means you can do commercial with it, no problem.

Here's the thing about sketchup: It is very limited. You would really only be able to do so much with it, and because of how it makes models, you'd have either A: a lot of clean up work after the fact, or B: a long time spent on making sure you won't need to clean up those models.

If you're dead-set on using sKetchup, I'd say you'll need to search around for sketchup-to-ogre-mesh stuff. Maybe something exists, dunno.

If you want my absolute honest opinion however, it is that I know blender LOOKS complicated, but it is NOT as long as someone shows you - so please, do a favor for yourself if you are interested in 3D modeling, and watch these vids, Blender is VERY simple once someone shows you it, and it is pretty powerful and has come a long way and will let you have freedom:

http://cgcookie.com/blender/get-started-with-blender/

It's seven videos, you won't even need to watch them all before you're informed and having a good time, but Don't stop there - do some other tuts from that site, and you'll be all set and wayyyyy faster than if you used text or taught yourself.

Just give that a try - if it's still too hard, and your friends are truly "more noob" - you may need to accept spending some time learning some new things first before considering making something as complicated as a game, but it's worth it if you believe in yourself and spend some time learning the ground floors about things.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:05 pm 

Brian wrote:
Yep, MIT license means you can do commercial with it, no problem.

Here's the thing about sketchup: It is very limited. You would really only be able to do so much with it, and because of how it makes models, you'd have either A: a lot of clean up work after the fact, or B: a long time spent on making sure you won't need to clean up those models.

Just give that a try - if it's still too hard, and your friends are truly "more noob" - you may need to accept spending some time learning some new things first before considering making something as complicated as a game, but it's worth it if you believe in yourself and spend some time learning the ground floors about things.

Thanks. I like free stuff. Cheapness FTW! :up: No, but really, it really is commendable that whoever made this software chose to make it free and open-source. :Aw:

But can you clarify what you mean about those two points on Sketchup, those points about "cleaning up" and "long time making sure there's no clean-up, etc..."? In Sketchup, you can use 1-click rendering, and it's easy and intuitive to make all sorts of things in it, both interiors and exteriors, therefore uncluttering and eliminating a lot of things taking up my precious and very limited brain space (I use the word limited lightly).

Thanks for the link. I'll look into it more thoroughly. Again, forgive the noobishness :/ , but can you make full-out cities in Blender? I wanted to use Sketchup because it was easy to use to make full cities, with the user's full control on what the city looks like? That's really the end objective. :yep:

Until then, I'll wallow a bit more in Sketchup. So, forgive me for reiterating the original question, but can you import Sketchup models in Grit?

PS: I am actually really nooby (at least compared to you people :( ), my friends even more so. I know that you need a concept, a plan, 3D "model creator," as well as a game engine, and someone that can code, in order to make a 3D game. But what are the actual steps, in order, of making a 3D game? I should point out that this is mainly just a learning experience, and just for fun.

Also, I know this is asking a bit much, but can you give me more tutorial videos on Blender? Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I dont have much knowledge of Sketchup, but you should be able to export your stuff from there to an open format like FBX or OBJ, and then import that in Blender and export to game. It might be long but you wont have to do much in Blender, aside from materials and placement, I suppose.

To answer your other question:

To make a game from scratch is not something simple. You first need to know very well your limitations (you and your team) and adjust the scope of the project accordingly.

You need a good idea of what the game is about, what sets it apart from other games, to what it compares. You will also need to know what kind of Art direction your project needs to follow, so that anybody who works on it is heading toward the right style.

You need to have an idea of how it will play, define the points there that are new or unproven and work toward these first. Keep iterating on gameplay as development progresses. There's no rule for game design 101, it's an iterative process where you add and remove features until you reach a good compromise between fun and your actual deadlines.

There's a lot of steps to get there, and none of it can be solved only by doing documents. The best advice is usually to start making something.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:42 pm 
Supreme Tyrant of All
Supreme Tyrant of All

I don't intend to create a sketchup exporter because we already have max and blender exporters. You can export into max/blender (you'll have to work out how to do that) or just learn one of them and use that only.

Blender is free btw.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You'll find a host of tutorials on that same link. There is also Blender Guru and Blender Nerd, those two sites have some good material. This next site is an excellent reference of short videos showing off blender on a tool-by-tool basis, more than meets the eyes here, click around and find lots of resourceful vids: http://gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html

As for sketchup, it's just that while it is fast and easy to use at first glance, it quickly becomes very slow if you want to have control over what you produce in it. In that way, sketchup is very deceptive, because it is fast when you first pick it up, but as you learn the elements of a game asset and how to produce them, it will quickly become very unfit for your needs and limiting. That is, you will find you cannot create a modern game asset in it, let alone would it be fun to do so in sketchup.

You need plugins with sketchup just to to triangulate meshes and have some control over that, the texturing/mapping side of it is limited also - unwrapping doesn't exist, so you have no control and it is a very wasteful texturing process. You can't unwrap your model, only place textures on it with a few generic options. You can't have any real control over what you're making. You can make simple models, but you will definitely not make models like you see in games today. Whatever you do may be fast, but it will be like nintendo64 models. Whereas if you learn a tool like Blender, you will spend probably even less time creating even better stuff as soon as you get over the learning curve, which won't take long, I assure you, you'll pick it up quickly from the vids shared.

That's the deception in sketchup - people pick it up, see it's fast, assume if they just practice they will get good and be able to make levels like they see in games today - it's not the case. You'll quickly run into the lack of scene management in sketchup, for example.

If you practiced at Sketchup to make truly quality models, it would actually take you 10x as long as Blender or Max would because those may be more complicated, but they are faster because of it. You can drop quick generic crap out of sketchup all day, but to make something good, even after you "get good at" sketchup, it will be a lot slower for you the artist and in some cases purely impossible in sketchup compared to other packages specifically created for art and visualization, like Blender or 3DS Max.

Basically, you cannot "practice and get better" and make a good tree or person or car or even high-detail building in sketchup that are all fit for a game or even a serious render. It would take "forever" and then sketchup is not fast anymore, then it is slow and a headache and stifling your growth in your interest to model game stuff :P

Sketchup is not truly "fast" either, even if it is claimed to be easy, it is very slow (unless all you want is crap models like GTA3 buildings :P) Don't be deceived by sketchup being "easy". It is not "easy" - it is "basic" and by "basic" it isn't a good thing - it's very bad thing. Basic = limits, basic = no room to grow. You can practice in blender and get really good at modeling - faster, better knowledge of tools, better knowledge of techniques. But you can practice in sketchup, and it'll still just be a bad package with low control - There are no different techniques to discover, there is no way to learn from your mistakes, because you can't make any, and the program makes plenty by itself, just by making sure you don't need to learn technique or know how things work - it compensates for ignorance, but hurts the product by doing so, and holds you back in the long run from realizing your ambitions.

If you want to fix it's mistakes, again, you need plugins, you can't texture it properly, you will need a different texture for every different kind of surface, you can't even do step 1 of a lot of things that take only seconds in blender or max. Things that take only seconds in blender also take a long time in sketchup when they are possible in sketchup at all. Texturing may be easy in sketchup, but it is very again limited, and very time consuming compared to doing it the standard ways found in max, blender, maya, etc

This only scratches the surface of sketchup for the artist. I could go on another short book here about how what is produced in sketchup often cannot be optimized for game engines without reworking the whole thing anyway, where you're better off just doing it in blender or max in the first place :P

If you spend a little time watching blender vids I linked, you'll start to see things that are 1: impossible in sketchup and 2: ten times faster than sketchup can ever hope to be.

The hard part is simply learning techniques and interface/hot keys - trust me, once you know something, you won't forget it - and you only need to learn it once - and you will learn fast with the blender course in my first post, and the other stuff in the first paragraph here. Blender is easy, if someone shows you how to use it, and those vids are great.

One big example is for example you need to make collision models for your models - you don't want to use the model itself for collision unless it is already really basic. In which case, you'd have a headache there as well. What you bump into in-game, is not the model you see - so there is something that would be a nightmare to do in sketchup. Sketchup lets you sketch stuff - a sketch is a preliminary thing, before you actually paint or sculpt or model something, depending on the medium - it's a good thing to mess with perhaps, but it is not a production tool and is to be avoided in the actual creation of assets.

There are lots of people using sketchup to make game stuff, mods, and so forth - but the quality is not there, and many occasions, they are spending orders of magnitude more time than they would on something better from a more proper tool for the job.

I'm not trying to discourage you, quite the opposite - I implore you to take a weekend with blender and leave sketchup behind, I assure you, with this crowd, and hanging around here and in our IRC room, you will learn fast and catch on to new things, and we will all be glad to tell you the "ropes" and help you get accustomed to this new art you've gained interest in =)

if all you want to do is very basic, sketchup may work to get you more interested. If you want to step up to doing more artistic things where you are in control of what the package creates, you'll eventually need to step into a more well-rounded art package - why put it off, right? Just jump right in, I'm sure that you'll be glad you did.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:23 pm 

Brian wrote:
You'll find a host of tutorials on that same link. There is also Blender Guru and Blender Nerd, those two sites have some good material. This next site is an excellent reference of short videos showing off blender on a tool-by-tool basis, more than meets the eyes here, click around and find lots of resourceful vids: http://gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html

As for sketchup, it's just that while it is fast and easy to use at first glance, it quickly becomes very slow if you want to have control over what you produce in it. In that way, sketchup is very deceptive, because it is fast when you first pick it up, but as you learn the elements of a game asset and how to produce them, it will quickly become very unfit for your needs and limiting. That is, you will find you cannot create a modern game asset in it, let alone would it be fun to do so in sketchup.

You need plugins with sketchup just to to triangulate meshes and have some control over that, the texturing/mapping side of it is limited also - unwrapping doesn't exist, so you have no control and it is a very wasteful texturing process. You can't unwrap your model, only place textures on it with a few generic options. You can't have any real control over what you're making. You can make simple models, but you will definitely not make models like you see in games today. Whatever you do may be fast, but it will be like nintendo64 models. Whereas if you learn a tool like Blender, you will spend probably even less time creating even better stuff as soon as you get over the learning curve, which won't take long, I assure you, you'll pick it up quickly from the vids shared.

That's the deception in sketchup - people pick it up, see it's fast, assume if they just practice they will get good and be able to make levels like they see in games today - it's not the case. You'll quickly run into the lack of scene management in sketchup, for example.

If you practiced at Sketchup to make truly quality models, it would actually take you 10x as long as Blender or Max would because those may be more complicated, but they are faster because of it. You can drop quick generic crap out of sketchup all day, but to make something good, even after you "get good at" sketchup, it will be a lot slower for you the artist and in some cases purely impossible in sketchup compared to other packages specifically created for art and visualization, like Blender or 3DS Max.

Basically, you cannot "practice and get better" and make a good tree or person or car or even high-detail building in sketchup that are all fit for a game or even a serious render. It would take "forever" and then sketchup is not fast anymore, then it is slow and a headache and stifling your growth in your interest to model game stuff :P

Sketchup is not truly "fast" either, even if it is claimed to be easy, it is very slow (unless all you want is crap models like GTA3 buildings :P) Don't be deceived by sketchup being "easy". It is not "easy" - it is "basic" and by "basic" it isn't a good thing - it's very bad thing. Basic = limits, basic = no room to grow. You can practice in blender and get really good at modeling - faster, better knowledge of tools, better knowledge of techniques. But you can practice in sketchup, and it'll still just be a bad package with low control - There are no different techniques to discover, there is no way to learn from your mistakes, because you can't make any, and the program makes plenty by itself, just by making sure you don't need to learn technique or know how things work - it compensates for ignorance, but hurts the product by doing so, and holds you back in the long run from realizing your ambitions.

If you want to fix it's mistakes, again, you need plugins, you can't texture it properly, you will need a different texture for every different kind of surface, you can't even do step 1 of a lot of things that take only seconds in blender or max. Things that take only seconds in blender also take a long time in sketchup when they are possible in sketchup at all. Texturing may be easy in sketchup, but it is very again limited, and very time consuming compared to doing it the standard ways found in max, blender, maya, etc

This only scratches the surface of sketchup for the artist. I could go on another short book here about how what is produced in sketchup often cannot be optimized for game engines without reworking the whole thing anyway, where you're better off just doing it in blender or max in the first place :P

If you spend a little time watching blender vids I linked, you'll start to see things that are 1: impossible in sketchup and 2: ten times faster than sketchup can ever hope to be.

The hard part is simply learning techniques and interface/hot keys - trust me, once you know something, you won't forget it - and you only need to learn it once - and you will learn fast with the blender course in my first post, and the other stuff in the first paragraph here. Blender is easy, if someone shows you how to use it, and those vids are great.

One big example is for example you need to make collision models for your models - you don't want to use the model itself for collision unless it is already really basic. In which case, you'd have a headache there as well. What you bump into in-game, is not the model you see - so there is something that would be a nightmare to do in sketchup. Sketchup lets you sketch stuff - a sketch is a preliminary thing, before you actually paint or sculpt or model something, depending on the medium - it's a good thing to mess with perhaps, but it is not a production tool and is to be avoided in the actual creation of assets.

There are lots of people using sketchup to make game stuff, mods, and so forth - but the quality is not there, and many occasions, they are spending orders of magnitude more time than they would on something better from a more proper tool for the job.

I'm not trying to discourage you, quite the opposite - I implore you to take a weekend with blender and leave sketchup behind, I assure you, with this crowd, and hanging around here and in our IRC room, you will learn fast and catch on to new things, and we will all be glad to tell you the "ropes" and help you get accustomed to this new art you've gained interest in =)

if all you want to do is very basic, sketchup may work to get you more interested. If you want to step up to doing more artistic things where you are in control of what the package creates, you'll eventually need to step into a more well-rounded art package - why put it off, right? Just jump right in, I'm sure that you'll be glad you did.

Dear God... So much reading, especially with my education... no, but jokes aside, thanks for all that information. I still didn't understand half of it, though, like the triangulate meshes, mapping, unwrapping, collision models, and texturing (I have a very basic idea of what that is...). I don't even know how to properly make textures for my games, and I managed with elementary tools. But I do realize it must be painful to discuss this kind of thing with someone like me. Hence the username. Anyways, I would like to say I appreciate all the help. Any tutorials for Grit itself you would like to generously offer? Also, do you think it's possible for someone to make an expansive open-world game by themselves (my friends have no clue what they're doing)? Finally, I feel this might not quite be relevant to this topic exactly, but is it possible to make a "big city" in Blender, like in Sketchup (which is why I wanted to use it in the first place)? Thanks.

And I know it's free. :up:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

in regard to being able to make an expansive world, it depends on how you construct the world. ParoXum is on his way to a huge possible world by using a "modular" technique to make the most buildings out of the fewest parts, for example, in his Project_B folder in Grit.

You ought to spend some time just reading and learning about the things that were confusing in my post. Those words are all key parts of your needs in wanting to do 3D stuff.

For now, if only to keep you from overwhelming yourself (it's easy to do that, even though this stuff is easier than it seems before you start really learning) is to try to make a model in blender. Go through those beginner classes, and then find a tutorial just to follow along. Preferably one on the same site because Jonathan Williamson is a great teacher of blender. Just follow along, get a little feel for it - you'll start to see there is a lot of repetition and then that will translate later to freedom with the tools rather than following along with them.

That's my best advice "for now" is to get through those 7 introduction vids, then follow a tutorial video that interests you. Just to follow along with someone who is used to it already. Then you will be able to branch out and you will have learned more "keywords" and "buzzwords" like the ones above to look further into. It seems like a lot, it seems daunting, but really, once you know how to use the tools, things become easier, then the real challenge is deciding WHAT to make :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:36 am 

I know sketchup is far from perfect and is not the best tool to create 3D models for games, but I started working on a sketchup to grit exporter last week. Currently it exports collision and placement. I am still working on the actual 3D model exporting and it might be finished by the end of the week (depends on how much free time I have). If anyone is interested I can put the script in the SVN repo.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:12 pm 
Supreme Tyrant of All
Supreme Tyrant of All

Cool, does the collision exporter allow you to build compounds of hulls and other primitives easily?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:48 pm 

Right now it just exports mesh collision. But I think it's easy to add support for other primitives. I'll try to get on IRC a bit more often, so if there are any question you can ask them directly.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:17 pm 
Supreme Tyrant of All
Supreme Tyrant of All

For consistency with the other exporters, if sketchup has box/cylinder etc primitives then just use those (may have to do some vector arithmetic to move centres etc). Otherwise it's more tricky as you have to export meshes as primitives, but hopefully not.

For the convex hull, just have a checkbox marking that object as being a convex hull, and only export the vertexes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's cool Shadow, it may not be the best advice to give a newbie to go learning sketchup, but with all the people who have learned to use it effectively enough for game models, if you're doing an exporter, more power to you, no doubt.

If a person has already taken the time to learn the "sketchup way" of producing workable assets, they are a prime person to serve with an exporter, I am just saying, newcomers ought to avoid it :P If a person already knows the ups and downs of that package, you're gonna be their hero if you put up a new script. Three cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Been finding some really good looking stuff from sketchup:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_qknIJrUMIZY/S ... %2BCar.jpg

Surprising. Probably takes ages compared to other stuff, having seriously tried sketchup myself before (why I am able to contrast it to blender and max), I can say, this kind of model is pro-sketchup stuff and probably takes ages :P

But yea, look at that quality is possible indeed:

http://www.lowpolygon3d.com/media/ecom/ ... 2-113c.jpg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why would anyone want to use sketchup to make gamemodels... It is used to sketch something up, very fast, without caring much. Then you do the model based on the sketch on a real program :)

But yes, a sketchup exporter would be good.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:19 pm 

Brian wrote:
That's cool Shadow, it may not be the best advice to give a newbie to go learning sketchup, but with all the people who have learned to use it effectively enough for game models, if you're doing an exporter, more power to you, no doubt.

If a person has already taken the time to learn the "sketchup way" of producing workable assets, they are a prime person to serve with an exporter, I am just saying, newcomers ought to avoid it :P If a person already knows the ups and downs of that package, you're gonna be their hero if you put up a new script. Three cheers.

Haha. Hey, BTW, is it possible to make your models in Sketchup and then do the other stuff (triangulate meshes, mapping, unwrapping, collision models, texturing, etc) in Blender?

*Sigh* Sorry if my head seems kind of thick. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:52 am 
Supreme Tyrant of All
Supreme Tyrant of All

Not sure, you'd need to find some format you can export from in Sketchup that Blender knows how to import.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Whatever process is currently the one being used by sketchup users to do it prior to exporting themselves is likely going to be the best way. Whatever plugin is used to preserve a certain triangle flow on the models is probably going to be the quickest. If you would go and do work on it in another package, you could probably model it from the start faster than fixing it with about the same level of knowledge, so I would suggest just doing it in blender from the start.

So if you're going to use sketchup, I would, again, say to make sure what you put out is already going to be valid the way you want it and build the end result the way you want it before it comes out of sketchup. I don't even know how much the program has changed since google sold it or so on, but if it's the way it was before, do it so your exported is the way it should be, cause fixing it in blender, would just be faster to model it in blender anyway (each new tool you learn in a 3d package, the faster you become, blender is second to none in poly modeling tools, possibly unwrapping models as well, but needs work elsewhere imo)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:14 am 

having seriously tried sketchup myself before (why I am able to contrast it to blender and max), I can say, this kind of model is pro-sketchup stuff and probably takes ages :P????

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 8:42 am 

I dont have much knowledge of Sketchup