Game Engine Forum - Grit Open Source Streaming Game Engine
Site Header
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: About the water in grit
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:33 pm 

Hi,
I was wondering how things are going about the water in grit, does boats float and move easily?
can my avatar swim easily on and under water? how about creating a sub-marine, would it work under water?
And the air (what is above ground level, the atmosphere) ,would it work if the air was water with a very low friction quotient?would nt that facilitate effects like winds, smokes, etc, i mean if i attach my avatar to a parachute, does that mean that a parachute is a object with a very high floatability quotient and that why it is slowly descending to the ground, and how about wind resistance for some sports cars?

thank you!
bye

Post subject: Re: About the water in grit
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:50 am 

Depends on how the ocean works. If its a static plane, it's really easy, just set the water level and calculate eveything bellow it as underwater, and above as air.

all different "physics" are just movement calculus, air = your object fall "fast" and move throught easily, water = low gravity and move throught slowly, parachute mode = maybe just like water, but with more acceleration ..

Generally it's more how you program your gameplay, unless you want the ocean to have dynamic physics buoyancy (Bullet 3.0 have a cool example) and move your ships with big waves (vertex shader) that are usually calculated in GPU, so you need to find The way to calculate wave height using CPU and pass it to GPU and so on .. (something like: https://github.com/UE4-OceanProject/OceanProject)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:32 am 
Supreme Tyrant of All
Supreme Tyrant of All

The usual way to do buoyancy is to fire rays in a grid layout from -Z at your object, and use the displacement of each ray to compute the buoyancy force at each point. Obviously this assumes the object is convex and constant density, but I believe it's what most games do.

Mechanics of vehicles underwater, the rules for people, etc vary for every game and you'd write them yourself.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It does need better water, and it does need better physics. But I don't even think about that right now and if you are like me, just make your world without water. you can drown the player if you have to. This post makes me wonder, but don't even honestly care. the faster I finish my map, the faster that waterworld is someone elses problem, not mine.