Game Engine Forum - Grit Open Source Streaming Game Engine
Site Header
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: I do not need graphics with the GTA5 quality
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:01 pm 

Hi,
I would have been quite happy with low resolution graphics and a working grit game engine, instead of waiting a long time for a grit game engine with graphics with the GTA5 quality.
Maybe someone can learn something from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLSbmHTfvv4
http://milantimko.info/index.php?page=articles&category=tutorials&article=01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2x039Adc0iI

Thank you!
Bye

Post subject: Re: I do not need graphics with the GTA5 quality
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:34 am 
Supreme Tyrant of All
Supreme Tyrant of All

That engine has a very nice map editor for doing heightmapped terrain with roads and towns on it. Ideally such a map editor would be a separate tool that would work with any game engine. If it's open source, we could write a Grit exporter for it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I guess, lucky for you, I am working on a world for 3 years with USB backup so far that is not quite IV quality. but will at least blow your mind if this is all you want. grass is tagged but I dunno what the engine will do with it, and the world is big. A long time making roads and land + outlands. Engine needs to render grass, but it is tagged to do it, and we will see when I finish. But I will not release east until west has an end, and I will not release south until north has an end. It should be at least better than minecraft screenshots though lol. A lot better.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:36 pm 

Wow! That's cool,i sure do understand the need (and the pleasure) of creating a entire 3D world, being such a artist (and creator) is a lot of work! And doing it all on your own,all alone, (that is the only way to be the one making all the decisions),it must feel great! I certainly would like to do the same as you (i wish that i knew how, but, there are no tutorials on that, nowhere), because, i do have a vision of my own, (wich include lots of missions under water(in a ancient civilisation destroy by a tsunami(kind a like atlantis))).I hope that i will get to see your world someday, will you release it to the world for free and as a oss world?

bye!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes! I owe it to Grit and all of the team, new and old, I owe it to the old team and the oldest members as well as the new guys working with Spark to make newer systems.

The only thing is, I will have to release it OBJ or some other way so spark can work out how we should do collision. I will work on it, including collision, once I know how we're doing that, but right now, it's only meshes. I think that's the right way, make the visuals and work out the game next, even if we need to make changes, at least I have "finally" added something more than just simple template stuff. It is very template too, it's probably not as good as I make it sound, but as I work on it, I think it is a good start that we can work on as much as we want.

I will need the people able to use blender to work on it, but I am almost done. At least, I keep telling myself "I am almost done" and then my work expands months because again and again I end up finding a place that doesn't make sense and expanding it - once it makes sense, another section or even just the edge of that doesn't make sense.

But I am crazy - so I know I am okay to keep making it bigger. I am on myself to just stop growing now. I keep looking at vice city and liberty city (gta iii), and lately, I have been shrinking the map and that has been liberating. I realize it might not be perfect, but that is the struggle for me anyway.

Yes, I will release it open source. The learning I have done modeling wise is payment enough for me. I always try to think of ways to make grit profitable for spark first, and then for everyone including me, but this, this needs to come out free, I owe it to the project, the teammates, and I owe to it to spark for personal reasons, I need to finish this map.

I have been liberated not having to think about physics or collisions, but I have always gone back and simplified things and found places that are "hero" areas vs just plain land mass. It's hard, but I will show it soon,

I think of all these ways to do it, I know it will be a surprise - when I put it out there, it's going to be so nonchalant lol. I am going to be like "this needs something, help?" and it's a whole world map lol. It's not big, but I make it feel big I think. I test in in Unity, but Unity basic and also with nothing but the models, I can't wait to see it and drive around it in grit.

But let's get back to your topic? I thank you for letting me vent, I have kept it to myself for a while now, but we still should discuss this topic, but I don't agree with the roads being their own thing - we should model everything. It's easier in the long run, it really is imho. I have been able to change them over and over without any worry, only angst to decide to do so :P

On one hand, I'm glad we had enough confusion that I could just make models and not care about gameplay, on the other hand, I am scared that what I am doing won't make sense that way. Either way, I've kept myself a small budget and atlas'd a lot of reuse that can be changed by modders or by artists or whatever, and made into new materials. I know my map is repetative, but easily enough people can import and make it more varied just by painting, so that's cool - I hope at least.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:15 pm 

Here is a nice paper on collision detection http://www.cs.hku.hk/research/techreps/ ... 005-01.pdf and check out this on physics https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tu ... edev-12578