Game Engine Forum - Grit Open Source Streaming Game Engine
Site Header
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:58 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: How big a map is possible?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:54 pm 

Hi,
I'd like to know the maximum size (Km squares) supported for a map with the grit? How high? How deep under water? How much size (in Megs) for all the pieces of the map? How do you do to find thoses numbers?

Thank You!

Post subject: Re: How big a map is possible?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:39 pm 

There is no limits in sizes (width,height,underwater...) just our imagination. You may need to split your map to ease the loading, editing... Look at playground demo in menu [Project] when you start Grit. There is coordinate x,y,z under compass in meters, that would give you a look and feel of the size. Check Playground directory is 100Mbytes where 99Mbytes are images, textures... so disk size depend basically on resolution of your images not the .mesh or .gcol of your class. Go in menu [Editor] and load Playground map: Open->Playground->map.gmap you can add,move,delete objects.

I personally created an infinite dynamic map with an infinite forest, desert, a and main street buildings. Others have imported GTASA and drove inside a city of 50km2.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:13 pm 

Hi,
thank you for your answer, first, i would love to see pictures and/or videos of your map, second, how does one mesure his map , i mean, how do you know that your map is 50 km squares and not 40 km squares or 60 km squares? what "tool?" do you use to calculate your map?
thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:38 am 

When you draw a cube in Blender with size of 1 for the x,y,z axis, 1 represent the unit that you want. If you decided that is one inch others objects imported (objects that you did not created yourself) must be adjusted accordingly. What I did, I created a plane guide 10x10 with subdivision and if you drag and drop objects on it: cars, robots, bricks you will see and feel the size, it's look like (10m x 10m). For construction I still personally use inch and foot and convert to meter after, in others areas I use meters. Go on Web Chat (IRC) I would provide you a links for the guide, videos, photos.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:06 pm 

Hi,
Thank you! lavrod