Game Engine Forum - Grit Open Source Streaming Game Engine
Site Header
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Rocket launcher on top of cars and deathmatch,is it possible
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:58 am 

Hi,
I was wondering if it would work to put rocket launcher on top of some cars and to play some kind of a death match while on a multiplayer game (over the lan and/or over the web) ?
Thank you?

Post subject: Re: Rocket launcher on top of cars and deathmatch,is it poss
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:53 pm 

It's definitely possible. Just create your cannon .gfx and .body and attach it to your vehicle. Create your own rocket or adapt position and angle the following line to fire: WeaponEffectManager:primaryEngage(cannon_position,quat(angle_direction, V_UP))
For Lan/Web I think there is minimum support, but your requirements need to be elaborated.
Did you want point-2-point or external server ?
Who will host the server ?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:07 pm 

Sorry about the delay to reply, i had to handle a unexpected "life thing" that took all my time,
as far as i know, there is no netcode in grit, (not yet). However, i am glad that you have answer, and i thank you for that, i guess that it would also be possible to stick machine-gun on the sides of the cars, but i am wondering about the possibility to use explosives such as; hand grenades, sticky-bombs, remote activated bomb that can be dropped from the car, land-mines that can be dropped from the car , time-bomb that can be dropped by the car, etc

thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:29 am 

There is /media/system/client.lua, server.lua, net.lua and other files.
You can probably pass msgs between a server and clients now.
Positions, actions, directions, speeds ...
I suggest to visit Web Chat IRC and post netcode questions there.
For all those explosives situations it's possible.
I will definitely need similar netcodes, weapons and explosives in my game and I am willing to share and/or participate.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:41 am 

you can use the bomb weapon that throws a ball, just replace the sphere by a grenade. for the land mines/others, just do a physics_cast to the ground and spawn the mine object on the hit position
(you can find all of this in the weapons system: "/system/weapon_effect_manager.lua" and "/common/weapons/...")

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:04 pm 

Hi,
Thank you for your answers lavrod and Augusto Moura, what i am thinking about is: in GTA SA , there is a mission where carl has to drop a nailed carped in front of a steaching white car , so that he can steal it. So i am thinking about doing the same, only i want the choice between a nailed carpet and a land mine (the land mine would explode when a car gets too near of it), and others choices of explosives that can be dropprd from a car, like smoke bomb, oil bomb (after explosion, they make the road really really slipery), glue bomb (after explosion, they make the cars stop ritgh there on the spot), paint bomb (after explosion, the cars are completely covers in paint, and the driver cant see nothing), remote activated bomb (you dropped it and click when you want it to explode), i want a missile launcher in the trunk of my car , so i can launch it at a helicopter, HAHAHA! etc...

Thank you!