Game Engine Forum - Grit Open Source Streaming Game Engine
Site Header
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: is it possible and easy to import cars from gta sa in grit
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:06 am 

Hi,
I was wondering if it is possible (and easy) to import cars and stuffs (made by modders for gta sa) in grit and to be able to use them

thank you!

Post subject: Re: is it possible and easy to import cars from gta sa in gr
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:49 pm 

I have prepared a preliminary tutorial to create a Soap Box car to present how easy is to create a new vehicles.

I have personally imported from Code3D an ambulance. Imported the .egg file in Blender and exported it without the wheels with the Grit-Exporter add-on for Blender. Re-used the content of /vehicles/base.lua to replace the wheels. You can re-use original wheels textures for the look while using the grit controls code.

Thing get complicated when modders implement specials controls: attached weapons, doors,hood... open/close... those things need probably to be re-coded.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:58 pm 

WOW! Thank you lavrod, I'd like to know what you think about, doing in grit, games with stuffs like;
A giant HULK (the one from marvel) 15 feets high and a ANT-MAN 1foot high, that they are in same map as regular peoples

A BIG robot, in the style of Optimus Prime (from the transformers) 50 feets high, and do you think that it would be possible to have (for all transforming robots) a robot mode and a car mode

A bunch of flying dragons that my character would be able to mount and to fly and to walk on the ground ( i am thinking somekind of world of warcraft)

Rigth now, i am waiting for a tutorial on how to create a simple "hello world" with grit and i am waiting for the map "the one that Brian is creating" (with the collision working?), then i will download that map, and then i will really start production, and go online in the chat room, i want to put everything i do freely available to download for everyone, (i am not sure about the licence though, mit or gnu?)

thank you

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:34 pm 

No need to wait, you can do it and start right now.
Create a folder hello inside your grit-engine/media
Save the content of this (https://pastebin.com/N4iZQe9Y) inside your grit-engine/media/hello has game_mode.lua
(This is simply an adaptation of /playground/game_mode.lua )
Save the content of this (https://pastebin.com/rrch65WZ) inside your grit-engine/media/hello has hello.gmap
(You can also create this hello.gmap by going inside the Grit Editor and do an SaveAs inside your hello folder has hello.gmap, Exit Editor, Exit GritEngine )

Find an image of your project and save it has GameMode.png inside your folder hello
Create or add to your personal user script grit-engine/media/user_script.lua the following line:
include '/hello/game_mode.lua'

Start Grit and browse the hello Project and play.
You can also start directly your game inside grit-engine/media, at the OS prompt:
./Grit.linux.x86_64 'include "/hello/game_mode.lua"; game_manager:enter("Hello")'

Visit the IRC chat room for support.
I can provide you an preliminary tutorial to create your own ground map with the size and shape that you want.
You will see it's not that difficult.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:52 pm 

Hi,
WOW! Thank you lavrod for for your cool answer, i have downloaded everything and i will start production of my map asap, i will go on the chat as soon as i have something worth working with it,

bye