Game Engine Forum - Grit Open Source Streaming Game Engine
Site Header
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Back to future game and more, is it possible
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:51 pm 

I just had this crazy idea;
If i wanted to do (with grit) a game Back to the future (cowboy, 50's, present and future). So i create a map for each period in the time (cowboy, 50's, present and future), i want to use the delorean to "travel" to each time "map", so i need some sort of a transition, some sort of a "menu" that give me the choice of the time (map) where i want to go. You know, i want to make my game loking very cool. Of course, i want the ability that i can bring someone along with me (inside the delorean), and being able to bring along weapons and clothes also would be a nice bonus. Of course, all my 4 maps would be on my pc.

Then i tough, wait a minute, what if i could do that with my 4 maps on differents pc that are somewhere on the web (trough tcp-ip), wow! that would be so cool and awesome.
Then i tough, hey! what if i was able to choose from, i don't know, a 100 differents maps, all of them on differents pc, all over the web, and i would be able, when i change world (map) to bring along weapons ,clothes, money, tatoos, ability, etc, wow, now, that would really be the top of the top in a openworld game.

So i'd like to know, what do you guys think of that?

thank you!

Post subject: Re: Back to future game and more, is it possible
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:26 pm 

Yes, Back to the future it's possible, like you say, create 3 .gmap with same dimension with some common area and/or position to ease the travel transition. In the game activate special objects to go backward and forward (see Playground objects near the car). Save current list of objects (players are objects too) you want to keep and call new period, like you call new game << game_manager:enter("cowboy") >>. Load your saved list.
Change the loading screen for your traveling effect.

Yes, the second scenario is also possible. However, you need to convince 100 persons and define some kind of specifications to agree on dimensions, ... otherwise you may end up in Gulliver worlds. Dont forget to consider missions, objectives ...

Also when you start to publish stuffs that it's no longer on your personal disk, you will need to consider copyright ownership. So you cannot probably reuse Back to the future name, logo, delorean name, images ...

I have fixed and tested the netcode. It's currently use a proprietary messages exchanges between clients and a server with UDP . I think that there is no UDP TFTP or TCP/IP FTP inside grit, that does not mean you cannot do it internally or externally by standard or by proprietary methods.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:13 pm 

WOW! thank you lavrod, looks like you really know your stuff, still. i want to add some more details, what i am thinking about is that there would be 4 (or more) separated maps on my pc, or on some 4 differents pc on my lan or even ,some of the pc would be on the web, then, while keeping everything with me (the character i am playing with), i am able to change from one map to another without quiting my game, i mean, there would be somekind of a menu (like the one in the airport in gta sa) or another style of menu, but a menu that does the same thing, inside that menu, you can choose the map that is your destination, it can be on the same pc, or on the same lan, or somewhere on the web, when you appear at your destination, you have brought with you, all of your stuffs, cash ,weapons, clothes, tatoos, even others players if you had them inside you car. instead of a airport, i was thinking of somekind of a giant marker , one that you can enter with a car, or any sort of vehicule and you can bring along others players with you, the marker can be anywhere, in the sky, under water, on the ground, underground.

thank you

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:52 pm 

I never played GTA SA, so I have no idea of this inside menu.
To immerse the player in your game you can create objects inside the game that the player can controls. For example when you board the delorean, a travel panel could be displayed and your change the date by manipulating up/down buttons (You do this by moving the small dot cursor over the panel buttons and hitting the <enter> key or the gamepad/joystick (A) button and change the date to 'western' or '50' ...

Other game use a map and player move cursor to travel to that city.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:49 pm 

Hi,
Cool, Thank you lavrod for your answer