Site Header
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: SVN Setup - HOW TO DOWNLOAD GRIT
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Attention:via http://gritengine.com/download , need 7zip or the like if using this quoted method on Windows. SVN guide for new users follows

You can download an archive of the current snapshot of SVN (~250MB download, ~500MB unpacked). However you will not have the benefit of incremental updates, and neither will you be able to contribute to the project.

Here is a guide to help new people to SVN, what we're using to keep our files :)

In resume, SVN files are uploaded to a server (right now, sourceforge) that keeps history of changes and replaces, so that can revert to old version. Quite a good help when working on a team, as files can be merged and replaced.

Windows
  • Starting it
    Get Tortoise SVN, download and install it.

Create a folder where you want grit to sit in, right click it and click Check out. In the URL of the repository, write:

Quote:
    https://svn.code.sf.net/p/gritengine/code/trunk

This might take a few minutes to download, as it is pretty large, but from now you will do small downloads :)
  • How does it work
    Now that you have the folder, what you will do is update and commit changes.

Update. (Right click, update) Will download the changes of the repository, so if someone else changed any file, it will be downloaded.

Commit. (Right click, commit) Will upload the changes files, that are shown with a red X icon. You should always write in the log some description about what kind of commit you're doing. ;)

To commit, you need an account at Sourceforge and to be added to the Grit project at Sourceforge. So register at Sourceforge and ask some of the main members (IRC, email, PM in the forums..) for permission to add you to the project page (we will add you if you show valuable content!)

You can always select which files to upload/download in the following dialog.
  • Important files
    Executable /grit_core/media/
    Exporters /exporters/
    XML converter (For meshes) /grit_core/media/Tools/
    Maps /grit_core/media/

Last edited by JostVice on Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fixed links for the new SVN, as of July 2013

Post subject: Re: SVN Setup
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

To widen this, if you are not keen to add another shell extension to your windows (I already have a few), you can get stand alone clients to manage your SVN as well. I am using RapidSVN. Here is a quick start tutorial for that platform if you go this route. Simply replace their link with Grit's:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/bvanaski/videos/12/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:27 pm 

Now coming into this forum via YouTube, I'm not experienced in modding, or game design, just play them. I would like clarification about using the game itself from a non technical aspect, if you have that, can it be downloaded and run, or is it intended as MM online gaming in a 3D real world? I've yet to see it actually, so forgive the really newb nature of this posting. SMH and I were casual members of GTAF in the earlier days and I had intended to join you guys a number of weeks ago actually.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:51 pm 

It's easy enough to run, all you need to do is download it (Via the SVN after setup) and then launch it's console, where you simply write in a little code, which is easy, and explained here in the Grit Engine Wiki:
http://www.gritengine.com/game-engine-w ... umentation

Read it up, and it's very easy! By the way, the Grit launcher .exe is in the grit_core\media section of the files, that confused me when trying to find it first time, so there's a heads up.

Hope you have fun toying with it, and it's good to see you again Slamman, was a shame when you left GTAF.

George (Cold Fusion 33)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

just updated. for anyone to commit a file they need to be added to he project group in SourceForge :)

Post subject: Re: SVN Setup - HOW TO DOWNLOAD GRIT
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:01 pm 

For those who use linux, mingw ore cygwin eclipse may be useful. There is a SVN pluging for eclipse avaible so sorces can be downloaded from SVN and uploaded back.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Someone should make a guide for linux, i would add it to the first post!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:24 am 

For Ubuntu Linux (I am on 12.04 LTS right now):

> sudo apt-get install svn
> sudo svn checkout https://svn.code.sf.net/p/gritengine/code/trunk

To update your local repository:
> sudo svn update your/grit/directory

Some versions of Linux use "co" instead of "checkout"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:35 am 

I would like clarification about using the game itself from a non technical aspect, if you have that, can it be downloaded and run, or is it intended as MM online gaming in a 3D real world? I've yet to see it actually, so forgive the really newb nature of this posting. SMH and I were casual members of GTAF in the earlier days and I had intended to join you guys a number of weeks ago actually.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The problem is there is no actual game. You can try the test scenes though, and drive around. For that you will need to download grit, so follow the guide in the first post.

I don't know what 'MM' means, if you mean 'massive multiplayer' then nope, right now we have a sand box game engine, like GTA San Andreas and so on, ready to put your cars & vehicles in it.

Nice to see some members from GTAF. We need more creators!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:39 pm 

hey guys well I just started up and I wana make my own ambitious game im gona need all the help I can get from downloading the program to developing..im just browsing at the moment getting to know the forum friends will be highly appreciated

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:03 am 

Can we get a updated post like this one but for git now that most of the code is on github

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:16 am 

Um, when I right click, there is no check out button. Am I doing something wrong? I seem to have the correct URL, and I did make a folder for it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For the time being, you guys should find your way into the irc chat, info from the home page menu, ask for help and await some instructions. Bare with us, I myself am only just now coming back and I use the svn as I'm not a programmer. Find spark or someone else on irc for now.